Each Alliance Française is a local not-for-profit organisation operating autonomously with no political or religious commitments.
All Alliances Françaises work towards three essential tasks:
- Offering French classes for all, both in France and abroad
- Spreading awareness of French and Francophone culture
- Promoting cultural diversity
Alliances Françaises have shared values which drive the network, acting as the basis for all their actions:
- Respect for cultural diversity, a passion for exchanges and solidarity
- The values of the not-for-profit sector
- Striving for excellence in all activities undertaken
- Modernity and innovation
Alliance Française has a foothold in Malaysia since 1961. It has two centers, one in Kuala Lumpur and one in Penang. It is not only a unique language center whose reputation is firmly established but also an exceptional social and cultural environment, with multiple events throughout the year. Strategically located, Alliance Française de Penang is housed in a fully-renovated 1970s corner house in a pleasant neighbourhood of George Town (off Burma Road near Union School).
Some of the facilities offered are: cafeteria, multimedia library open to all, exhibition/screening room. It aims at gathering French-language enthusiasts from Malaysia, France and other countries, and fostering exchanges between the two communities. It offers free parking facilities.
President: Ms Toh Lee Hong
Vice-President: Mr Kreshna Rajendran
Treasurer: Mr Jonathan Chapman
Mr Alexandre Schoemann
Mr Adrian Kessler
Mr Flavien Lambert